My thoughts on Multiliteracies & Lang Classroom

Monday, February 16, 2009

007. Same message but different modes

Extending on the example shared by my group in class using a biblical text, I have found another passage (in written text) presented in another 2 different modes (still images and moving images).

1) Written Text























2) Still Images (with written text in it too)




















3) Moving Images (with written text)




In the examples above, it can be seen that the same message can be presented in more than one mode, and in the later two examples, they are multi-modal where the logic of space and time is used. As one who is a user of this text, I can't say that one form is better than the other because they serve different purposes and target audiences. The latter examples would benefit and appeal to audiences who are not within the discourse community of this text (in the first example). It also helps to complement users of the first text by facilitating understanding of the written text alone through making meaning from the images.

Hope I am making sense =p


1 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM , Blogger Jess said...

    Hey Zoie, I was intrigued by your Youtube video on Passion of the Christ that I went to watch the entire show. I must say that the video mode expresses its affordances in ways that are very different from the written form. Although by reading the text, I am given ample space for my imagination to run wild, it didn't provide much aesthetic appeal to people who are not familiar with the story. On the other hand, the vivid imagery and sounds of the video totally took my breath away and gave me a better idea of what the story is about. The video also has an upper hand over still images in that I was able see the emotions that flowed throughout the story.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home