My thoughts on Multiliteracies & Lang Classroom

Sunday, February 1, 2009

004. Semiotics Talk



In this week’s reading on semiotics, two aspects (framing and typography) caught my attention.

The concept of framing in advertisements, books etc are not new as they have been learnt during previous modules. However, it was interesting to me that the author mentioned that framing can occur not only in visual images but also in physical spaces like offices and classrooms. The concept of framing in a classroom arrangement is one that I can apply in my future classroom to achieve certain objectives that I want to meet. For example, a closed-plan and an open-plan classroom would serve different purposes and ‘atmospheres’ that I want to set in my class. Using the open-plan approach would give me, the teacher, more autonomy in how I want to arrange the seats and furniture in my classroom to facilitate learning for my pupils and complement my teaching. However, I must also bear in mind that the interests of the pupils must always be a priority when planning the framing of my classroom.

Next is typography. It was interesting to read how typography has evolved and found its place in social semiotics over time. Being an avid scrapbooker, I often use different types of fonts in different layouts to complement the meaning that I want to bring across in my work. Very often, the choice of font can make or break a layout.

Here are two examples.

In this layout, I wanted to create a classical and vintage look. The use of the fonts in the word ‘EMBRACE’ helps to bring across this feel.




The layout below is meant to be a fun and wacky one. If the fonts that were used for the previous layout was used here too, it would not be able to bring across the fun theme of the layout. To bring out the theme, I have then chosen casual and more ‘fun-looking’ fonts for the phrase ‘SILLY FACES’.


The use of typography and the potential meaning-making it brings with it can be extended to many different uses and aspects of life and society. And in the above two examples, I have just shown how I used typography as a resource for meaning making.

3 Comments:

  • At February 3, 2009 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Nataliez said...

    Hi Zoie,

    Yea.. from your blogpost we can see that we can even use typography even in scrapbooking. Hence, it shows that typography not happens or can be created in website, video etc... We can also use typography in an art & craft lesson in school.

     
  • At February 8, 2009 at 12:04 AM , Blogger Kelynn Wee said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At February 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Kelynn Wee said...

    Hi Zoie,

    I agree with what Nataliez has mentioned in the previous post. I think it is good to teach our students the importance of typography, especially in art & craft lessons, as many people would often overlook this aspect in designing. I am a very good example as I used to place great emphasis on the image, instead of fonts when designing posters.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home